Tuesday, March 18, 2008

An unwanted straw hat, Thinking device for the 21st century.



Tonight as I was wearing a straw hat that I obtained through some random events I started thinking. First I thought of cliche I could possibly by dressing as countryish as possible for me when I go to Lethbridge (which I'll probably still do.) Then I got to thinking if country type people, (cowboys in specific) could actually be happy being the people they are. Then I started to think if anyone who links him/her self to any kind of group whether hillbilly, hobo, prep, goth, skater can actually be happy being identified by people as that particular group of people. Then I finally came to the thought of, can anyone actually be happy about the person they are or will people always want to be, want to change, or want to try to better themselves to become different people. Basically I realized I came to the whole the grass is always greener on the other side idea. As humans we have a desire to have and in this case be what we are not, to make ourselves into what we believe at the time will make us happy. This thinking is not practical because even if we learn that skill or spend more time with our family or friends, even if we attain to that idea of what will make us a better person, the person we want to be, our idea of who we want to be will have changed or their will be completely new goals or skills or people that we want to be once we meet our previous goals, if we meet them at all. Then trying to bring some closure to my thoughts I realized I couldn't and maybe that its just a fact of life that we want to always be different than what we are or what we were. In some senses its a good thing, its what drives people to become better individuals (according to themselves) and makes life interesting. I guess I'll just have to learn to deal with it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you implying that us cowboys are superficial? ;)

You make a good point, we're all striving for something we're not currently. It keeps things interesting though right? Why be you when you can be someone else?